CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Love Saturdays y domingos by Alma Flor Ada

I Love Saturdays y domingos by Alma Flor Ada is a book about a little girl that comes from a bi-racial family. Her father is White and her mother is Mexican-American. This story is about her weekends with her grandparents. Saturdays she spends with one set of grandparents and Sundays she spends with the other. The story addresses the multicultural aspects of daily life and traditions within families. I think that is a great book for kids to read and be exposed to because it shows how varying cultures celebrate certain traditions. My main reason for liking this particular book however, is that it shares common every day experiences that children have. Everyone has someone in their lives that tell stories, everyone has a birthday, etc. I think that even for children that do not come from multicultural backgrounds, they can learn from this book that these children are exactly like them. They have families, birthdays, feelings and they are not so different from them when they start looking deeper than just the surface. This book also teaches children introductory Spanish words. It is a great way to incorporate the learning of another language. Also, for the class that has children that may only speak Spanish, it is a wonderful way to help engage them in the lesson. They can help pronounce the words and give some of their own experiences without feeling left out because they do not speak English.

3 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

You are so right that though this book is on its surface about a biracial family, that it is also about kids in general. It's such a cool book.

christian freeman said...

I agree. I have read some English/Spanish books to my kids. The children who spoke Spanish helped me pronounce the words better. They had a lot of fun and took pride in their ability to speak Spanish. It is a wonderfull thing to be able to speak more than one language. We need to tech children that it is somthing to be proud of.

Ofelia Lawrence said...

This book was great! I think I'll keep it and read it to my students. I love how it included some Spanish and how it displayed to great joy of diversity. Great Job!